10-Jan-2010 -- This is the last out of a series of five confluence visits that we attempted during a three-week vacation in Mexico and Guatemala. The previous confluence visit was at 18°N 93°W.
On confluence day we got up in the city of Villahermosa, which is about 500 km east of this confluence point. On our way by car we missed a virgin confluence (18°N 94°W) by only 5 km, but three days of rain made a visit of this anyway swampy area unfeasible.
So we continued our trip straight to the city of Veracruz (20 km north-west of the CP). Before entering Veracruz we took the main road towards Alvarado and turned into a county lane towards the costal village Antón Lizardo. From 7.7 km at the turn-off we could count the remaining distance down to 260 m. Here we parked and walked over a meadow to the confluence point. Luckily, the bulls on that meadow ignored us – and we did the same to them.
The confluence point is in the middle of that unmown meadow, with scattered trees and bushes in quite some distance. As it is usual for confluences in a pasture, the exact location is marked with a cow dropping. I took a picture of it as the “ground zero” of the confluence – unfortunately our camera decided to censor this picture by destroying it. But not only this picture, many more were not retrievable from the memory card or were broken. Some pictures were visible in the pre-view of the picture manager, but not in full size. I worked hard to somehow patch up the pictures of the four cardinal directions.
We took the costal road to Veracruz, where we stayed the night. On the central square, a group of clowns could not help to improve our generally bad mood at those days...
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 260 m
- Distance to a track: 260 m
- Distance to a path: 260 m
- Distance from hotel: 20 km
- Distance to houses: 300 m
- Time at the CP: 2:34 pm
- Hiking time (distance): 8 minutes (260 m)
- Measured height: 29 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 3 m
- Topography: flat
- Weather: strong winds, overcast, 12° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In state of Veracruz just 3 km to the coast (Gulf of Mexico).
- Given Name: The Censored Cowpat Confluence
Story finishes here.