07-Sep-2014 -- This is the fourth out of 5 reports reaching confluence points in Central Finland. The story starts from 65°N 26°E. The previous report is 66°N 26°E.
Although I had to take a plane back to Switzerland the next day and although I was still 140 km away from the airport (with my bicycle), I could not refrain from visiting this confluence. So when I had reached the village Alaniemi, I turned into the small road towards Tervola. Soon the road got a dirt cover. The nearest I could get to the confluence from the road was 800 m. A bumpy forest track helped me to halve the distance. At 400 m, I abandoned my bicycle and walked through spruce forest.
The forest turned out to be somewhat spooky. Dusk had already come and I realised how remote this hike was.
The confluence is in a mixed spruce and birch forest with a moss, foliage and of course mushrooms. Some of the mushrooms have started moulding already. In 50 m distance from the confluence point there was a huge clearing from where I took the picture #1.
After returning to my bicycle, I just made it to the little town Tervola before nightfall. Again I was lucky to find a simple hotel and spent a comfortable night there.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 800 m
- Distance to a track: 400 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 400 m
- Time to reach the CP from bicycle parking: 12 min
- Time at the CP: 6:40 PM
- Measured height: 67 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy: 5 m
- Topography: almost flat
- Vegetation: moss, grass, mushrooms, mixed spruce and birch forest.
- Weather: partly cloudy, 15° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Moulding Mushrooms Confluence
The story finishes at 65°N 25°E.