29-Sep-2014 -- This is the 7th out of 12 confluence reports, reaching 10 and attempting 2 confluence points in Iran and Turkmenistan. The story starts at 36°N 51°E and continues from 37°N 50°E.
We had spent the night in Bandar-e Torkaman (بندر تركمن) in a private home (80 km from the CP). After visiting its colourful Monday market and the little harbour, we set off at 10 AM. Not long after passing the city of Gorgān (گرگان), we reached the town of Khān Bebīn (1.6 km distance). From there, we had an easy drive to the Confluence. The area is flat farmland and the confluence hunter can make use of a good infrastructure with roads and tracks. There is the hamlet Kālūkān (کالوکان) and the nearest houses are located just 120 m from the Confluence.
The confluence is located 20 m into a cotton field with fluffy staple fiber growing around the seeds of the cotton plants. Walking along the aisles is possible without doing any harm to the plants. Just about 1 km south of the Confluence the foothills of the Eastern Alborz Mountains are clearly visible.
After the confluence visit, we visited the city of Gonbad-e Kāvūs (گنبد كاووس) with its well preserved tower dating back to the 12th century.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 120 m
- Distance to a track: 120 m
- Distance of car parking: 160 m
- Time to get to the confluence from car parking: 5 minutes
- Time at the CP: 10:37 AM
- Measured height: 41 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat, but mountain terrain to the south
- Vegetation: cotton plants
- Weather: cloudless, 32° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Alborz Cotton Confluence
The story continues at 37°N 56°E.