26-Jun-2008 -- Continued from 25S-127E
At the beginning of our trip, this was to be our second confluence visit, but due to wet weather, there was no way that we could get out to the confluence. Due to wet weather, vehicle problems with one of the vehicles in my group and other hold ups along the way, we had to make plans to change the trip to make up for the loss in time.
We had no original intentions of coming home the same way that we started the trip, but as things planned out, we had come back down the bitumen and this meant that we would be again passing through Coober Pedy. After a fuel top up, we headed out on the William Creek Road until we arrived at the Dog Fence, where it was time to follow the fence and then drive out to the confluence. Travel out to the confluence was over soft ground, reinforcing the fact that there is no way that we would have been able to travel out to the confluence when 9mm of rain had fallen three weeks ago when we were first in the area.
With all the required photos in hand, it was time to again to head south to find a bush camp for the night and then our final run home the next day. We should have logged a further 4 confluences for this trip, but we could not complain on logging 7 confluences for the trip, including 1 visit that was a first. It is now back to the drawing board and work on next year’s trip.