18-Feb-2012 -- This is the last out of six confluences that I visited during a short trip to Australia. The story begins at 33°S 151°E. The previous visit is 35°S 149°E.
From the town Goulburn, it is a 40 km drive on an asphalt road to the village Windellama (11.5 km from the confluence) – a small settlement of scattered houses along several forest tracks. One of these forest tracks is called Spa Road and it takes you up to 950 m to the confluence point. I parked already earlier, because I was running out of gas and by walking a bit more, I could save some gasoline and may increase the probability to reach a gas station.
The public road ends at a distance of 950 m at a gate, but a track can be walked up to a distance of 200 m. I was running out of daylight which began to fade so I had to hurry to reach the confluence in time. But I was also running out of battery power of my GPS receiver and also used the last ions left in the camera battery to take the cardinal directions at the confluence point. Basically, I was running out of everything.
But at the end, everything turned out well and I made it back to a gas station in Goulburn without running out of gas. I stayed my last night in Australia in this nice little town, before flying back to Europe.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 11 km
- Distance to a public road: 950 m
- Distance to a track: 200 m
- Distance of parking: 1.85 km
- Distance to houses: 350 m
- Time starting the hike: 6:22 PM
- Time at the CP: 6:36 PM
- Measured height: 568 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 7 m
- Topography: hilly, at a slight slope
- Vegetation: scattered pine trees, bushes, meadow
- Weather: sunny (sunset), 25° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In New South Wales, forested area, in the Bungonia Recreation Area.
- Given Name: The All-Is-Empty Confluence
Story finishes here.