General information about the tour
This is the first out of 9 confluences that I reached during a spontaneous weekend-trip to Spain. This time – unfortunately – I couldn’t afford to ride my bicycle. Having only 3 days of time available, the logistics (and costs) of transporting a bike in the plane would not be worth the trouble. Nevertheless, I enjoyed Spain’s beautiful autumn from a rental car and during some nice hikes.
The highlights of this trip are probably the Galician confluences. See how 42°N 7°W has changed after a bush fire. 43°N 7°W is covered with chestnuts. It is the first point where I have been to its antipode in New Zealand as well.
Information about this confluence
Directly after work on Thursday evening I hopped in a plane from Zurich to Madrid. From the airport I continued my trip by a rental car to Segovia. I stayed the night in a “hostal” in Torrecaballeros – a village that is only 2 km beeline from the confluence point.
In the next morning - with the first daylight - I simply started hiking from Torrecaballeros. I had to abandon my first attempt to reach the confluence directly beeline cross-country due to various obstacles such as fences, bulls and hedges. I finally ran along the road N-110 up to a distance of 800 m and left the road continuing across a huge ranch. I could clearly see the cows or bulls grazing besides me. I remembered that the bulls for the Corrida (bullfight) need to be raised somewhere. So I kept a respectful distance to them.
With the orienting sun I reached the exact location – a beautiful place with interesting formations of rocks and a far view of several kilometers into the plains.
Later, I visited the historical town of Segovia which is just 10 km away.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 800 m
- Distance to a track: 800 m
- Distance of parking the car: 1.95 km
- Distance to houses: 1.44 km
- Time starting the hike: 8:40 a.m.
- Time at the CP: 9:05 a.m.
- Measured height: 1188 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 3 m
- Vegetation: dry grass, lichen on rocks, moss, scattered bushes
- Topography: slight slope
- Time back from hike: 9:30
- Weather: clear, 0° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: On a wide ranch with cattle. Near the historical town of Segovia. At the northern edge of the Sierra de Guadarrama
- Given Name: The Bull Raising Confluence
Story continues at 41°N 5°W.