08-Sep-2017 -- This is the 8th out of 9 reports reaching confluence points during a one-week cycling trip around Ireland. The story starts at 54°N 7°W and continues from 52°N 8°W.
I cycled in the morning from the town Thurles (50 km from the CP) via Templemore, Dunkerrin, and Shinrone to the confluence point. I parked my bicycle 215 m due south of the confluence point right at the county road. A footpath leads very conveniently up to a distance of 30 m. But then it would become difficult.
The exact spot is in an extremely dense undergrowth with thorny blackberry hedges. Covering the last 12 m were a hard time for my trousers, shirt, and skin. At least I could eat some of the blackberries as a reward of my torturous work.
Getting out of the thickets was easy, since I simply followed my beaten track. Back to the bike, I continued cycling eastwards to capture one last confluence point before returning to Dublin.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance of bicycle parking: 215 m
- Time to reach the CP from the road: 10 minutes
- Time at the CP: 10:28 AM
- Measured height: 128 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 4 m
- Topography: on a slight slope
- Vegetation: blackberry thickets, ferns, trees, various bushes.
- Weather: partly cloudy, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Blackberry Thickets Confluence
The story finishes at 53°N 7°W.