28-Apr-2006 -- This is the fourth visit out of an 11-confluence-hunt along the 50 degree latitude line. The trip starts at 50°N 13°E and follows our previous hunt westwards along the 50 degree line.
After a successful visit of 50°N 16°E, we continued our trip eastwards. Elionora was steering the car, while I was enjoying the views of the mountains in the Olomouc Region. Some of the mountains reach heights up to 1500m. Our road (national road no.11) didn’t get so high, but we reached areas, where the ground was still covered with snow. After we had come through the city of Šumperk, we reached the town of Rapotín, just 2km away from the CP and still along N11. From there we turned into a minor country road towards Rejchartice and followed the road until only 114m separated us from the CP. But the direct access to the exact location was not easily obtained. A little river had to be crossed. We were in-between, whether we should jump over it or find a way around. Finally, considering that we had expensive equipment which should not get soaked with water like the GPS receiver and camera, we decided not to risk anything and took the long way.
5 minutes later, we reached the exact location by crossing the river on a little bridge and following a tractor track for 200m. Interestingly, the confluence is exactly on a stockyard for bales of straw. Less then 10m away, these white-packed silage bales make up a special feature in the otherwise green-yellow-grey dominated world around it.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 18:08 p.m.
- Driving time to get to the CP from home: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Driving distance: 119 km
- Distance of car parking: 65 m
- Distance to a track: 65 m
- Distance to a road: 114 m
- Distance to houses: 900 m
- Topography: flat
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0.80 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- GPS height: 366 m
- Vegetation: next to a clover field to the south and a little river with an avenue of conifer trees along it to the north.
- Weather: overcast, 12° C (felt temperature)
- Specialities: The white balls of straw right next to the confluence.
- Description of the CP: In the North Central Czech Republic,in the southern parts of the Jesnik Mountain ranges. Within the basin of river Desná. The exact location is currently used as a storage area for silage bales.
- Given Name: The White Hay Bales Confluence
Story continues at 50N 18E.