24-Feb-2008 -- The story starts from 47°N 10°E.
Driving from Munich to Zurich (Switzerland) by car, I almost passed through this confluence. It was a beautiful summer day (although it was actually February) and I was not in a hurry. Thus, I left the Autobahn A96 at Schäffelding where the distance was just 7 km beeline to the confluence. I passed through the village Finning and turned on the county road LL23 towards Hofstetten. At a distance of 1.58 km I parked the car, because the small farmer’s tracks were closed to public driving. Actually, it is a question to me how other confluence visitors were able to legally drive to the point.
On my hike to the confluence, I met a group riding on a carriage drawn by four horses. Due to the fine weather, the summits of the Alps were visible at the confluence. Just 50m north of the confluence, one could enjoy a grandiose panorama of the alpine chain.
The location itself is on a huge meadow. There are spruce forests 100m east of the confluence. In this forest, there is a lake called Windach Speicher. The church of Obermühlhausen can be seen.
On the way back I took the same route and reached my car about an hour after leaving it. The trip to Zurich continued uneventful until I came to a single-lane section of the Autobahn near Lindau, where my Ford KA broke down. The motor steamed and it turned out that I had run out of cooling water. Luckily, help came from the German Automobile Club ADAC. I was towed to a safer place where my car got fresh cooling water and additional checks. Two hours later I could continue driving home to Zurich.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 13:58 am
- time: 15 min (from the parking lot)
- hiking distance: 1580 m (beeline)
- Distance to a road: 1580 m
- Distance to a track: 20 m
- Distance to houses: 100 m (assuming that the nearby huts count as houses)
- Topography: rolling hills, generally flat landscape.
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- GPS height: 643 m
- Vegetation: meadow with grass. In the vicinity spruce forest.
- Weather: sunny, 18° C (incredible for this time of the year!)
- Description of the CP: In the central Bavarian Highlands between the Ammersee and Landsberg am Lech. Peaceful sparsely populated area. Mostly a mixture of farming and forests.
- Given Name: The Alpineview Carriage Confluence