01-May-2008 -- This is the fifth out of 7 confluence points that we visited during a week-end trip to Italy, Slovenia and Croatia. Story starts from 45°N 9°E.
Coming from 45°N 12°E we came close by Venetia. But instead of visiting the famous city, we stayed on the Motorways A13 and A4. Then we took county road SP39 to the town Codroipo, which is 4 km south of the confluence point. We then continued northward to the village San Lorenzo, where the confluence is located. When we were on the county road right between Codroipo and San Lorenzo a thunder storm was building up.
Exactly when we reached the house of Sig. Elivio Fanutti in the Via Montegrappa #17, these dark clouds caused a heavy downpour. We waited a bit until the rain got lighter. Right in that moment when we finally could leave the car Sig. Fanutti was approaching us. I knew his appearance already from the website and he also knew about the confluence in his garden. He welcomed us to have his confluence documented. He showed us the “exact spot”. My GPS receiver confirmed that. The point is located behind the small lemon tree just beside the viola flower pots. Sig. Fanutti brought us a sign with “46°N 13°E” that the previous visitor Hans Augdoppler had fabricated and donated to him.
Taking pictures turned out to be difficult due to the dark clouds and the rain. I didn’t dare to perform a lengthy “confluence dance” in order to photograph a perfect zero-reading. I thought that the family might have better things to do than let confluencers run around in their backyard.
By the way, this is the 4th posting at the confluence.org website and the forth time a German team visiting it. This is due to the Germans taking their vacation in the south where the weather tends to be warmer.
With 4 hours of daylight left, we thought that it should be easy to catch a sixth confluence that day. The next one would be 78 km further east in Slovenia. But we where mistaken. For details see 46°N 14°E.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 4:45 pm
- Driving time: 2 hours 14 min
- Driving distance: 166 km
- Hiking time: 0 min
- Hiking distance: 34 m (beeline)
- Distance to a road: 34 m
- Distance to a track: 34 m
- Distance to houses: 5 m
- Topography: flat
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 11 m
- GPS height: 65 m
- Vegetation: garden land with a lawn, various trees and flower pots with ferns, violas, geranium and a lemon tree,
- Weather: rain, 16° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the northern part of Italy, in the region of Friuli-Venezia Guilia. Location in the old village of San Lorenzo. Right in the backyard of a private house.
- Given Name: The Thunderstorm Backyard Confluence
Story continues at 46°N 14°E.