02-Jan-2009 -- This is the third confluence that we visited during our trip to Peru, Bolivia and Chile (map). The story starts from 12°S 77°W.
The confluence is located of 20 km south from Puno – a distance that would have been convenient for a bicycle ride. Unfortunately I was not able to find rental bikes. So I finally decided to take one of those colectivos (small busses) that cover the short and medium distances.
After a 20-minute ride, I got off at the archeological site Cutimbo, just 2.4 km from the confluence. Besides the Incan burial chullpas (grave-towers) the place consists just of a couple houses. The walk to the confluence turned out to be dangerous as mentioned by visit #2. There are dangerous dogs in the area, ready to scare away any trespasser. I was aware of that so I stayed away from houses by at least 200 m. However, I forgot that this rule is also valid for sheep herds. Suddenly I was confronted with two scary guarding dogs. I stood still for at least 2 minutes until a 13-year old boy called them back. We started talking and I explained to Yonh the idea of confluencing. Since this sounded exciting – a foreigner running around with a mysterious device – he accompanied me. I also was happy to have him, because with him in tow I felt save.
The confluence is located in the middle of a flood plain. There are a couple of ditches that had to be surrounded or jumped over. When we reached the confluence, I showed Yonh how a confluence is documented.
On the way back I came across some Alpacas. Shortly after I had reached the highway, I was picked up by another colectivo that was heading to Puno. The whole trip took me 3 hours.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 1.7 km
- Distance to a road: 1.7 km
- Distance to a track: 700 m
- Distance to houses: 2400 m
- Time at the CP: 12:00 a.m.
- Hiking time (distance): 30 minutes (2.4 km)
- Measured height: 3901 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 8 m
- Vegetation: Grassland, moss.
- Topography: flat but surrounded by mountains.
- Weather: cloudy, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: On Peru’s altiplano region. Close to lake Titicaca. In a valley, with pasture farming.
- Given Name: The Dogs and Alpacas Confluence
Story continues at 18°S 67°W.