20-Mar-2009 -- This is the second out of six confluence points that I visited this beautiful sunny Friday in the eve of spring. The story starts from 53°N 10°E.
The hop from 53°N 10°E to this confluence took just one hour, because both confluences are well connected by the German Autobahn A7 and A27. At Achim North I left the highway, made my way through the beautiful town Achim and parked the car at its southern end where a sign prohibited driving any further, saying “Anlieger Frei”. From here, it was a pleasant walk of 1.1 km beeline distance to the point.
The confluence point turned out to be located in the middle of a grain field with young sprouts. The nearest I could approach the point was 53 m in order to avoid stepping on the young sprouts. Even if it looks like grass, I guess it is young barley or a related grain.
I also noticed some wind turbines from the confluence point. But this is nothing to be mentioned anymore – almost from all confluence points viewing wind turbines is possible in Northern Germany. I walked another way back to the car and continued to 53°N 8°E.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from starting point: 66.7 km
- Departure time: 8:46 am
- Distance and time of parking: 1.11 km (9:48 am)
- Time at the CP: 10:08 am
- Minimal distance to the CP: 53 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Measured height: 3 m
- Vegetation: young grain field, framed by little trees and hedges
- Distance to a road: 1.2 m
- Distance to a track: 56 m
- Distance to houses: 750 m
- Topography: totally flat
- Weather: sunny, 2° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: Located between the town Achim to the north and the river Weser. In the floodplains of the river Weser, which runs just 500 m to the south.
- Given Name: The Weser Flats Confluence
Story continues at 53°N 8°E.