13-Nov-2009 -- This is the second out of seven confluence points that I visited during a 3-day trip to Spain. The story starts from 40°N 3°W.
Coming from 40°N 3°W in the early morning, I continued eastwards on the National Road N-400 to Cuenca followed by N-420 up to the village Mohorte (5 km from CP). From Mohorte I continued over a couple of minor tracks up to a railroad tunnel crossing and parked the vehicle at a distance of 1.5 km from the confluence point. There is certainly a closer approach by car possible, but I was rather interested to have a nice hike than having an odyssey by car.
I chose a route over the mountains, climbing and descending a couple of steep ups- and downs. After one hour into the hike I reached the confluence point located on a westwards inclined slope. To my surprise, there was a track (suitable for 4-wheel drive) right next to the point. This track cannot be found in previous visitors’ pictures. Actually, the confluence point is naturally marked by a big cypress tree, which exceeds all other trees in size in the area. I managed to get a zero reading right next to the tree.
The return was much faster since I simply followed the track that took me down into the low lands from where I could quickly cross over to my vehicle. After the visit I went to the nearby city of Cuenca with its historic city and the famous hanging houses.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 3 km
- Distance to a track: 2 m
- Distance of parking the car: 1.53 km
- Distance to houses: 3 km (Las Zonas)
- Time starting the hike: 10:43 a.m.
- Time at the CP: 11:40 a.m.
- Measured height: 1140 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 3 m
- Vegetation: scattered cypress trees, dried up grass, herbs and thorny bushes
- Topography: steep slope
- Time back from hike: 12:05
- Weather: sunny, 19° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Provincia de Cuenca, Communidad de Castilla-La Mancha in Central Spain. In the wilderness half way up a mountain range.
- Given Name: The Cypress Marker Confluence
Story continues at 39°N 2°W.