14-May-2010 -- This report is the seventh out of a series of eight confluences that we visited on a tour from Zurich (Switzerland) to La Rochelle in France. The story starts from 47°N 6°E and continues from 47°N 1°E.
In order to get to our destination La Rochelle, we skipped the prime meridian confluences. We were not coming close to one of these confluence points at the prime meridian, but the visit of this one near Rochefort seemed to be no major deviation.
We left the motorway at Saint-Laurent-de-La-Prée with a remaining distance of 2.5 km. Then, we crossed a rail road line and went through various roads of the village La Barre. In contrast to the previous visitors we approached the confluence from the north. Therefore we did not come through the village L’Houmée. On a small, but paved farming track we came as close as 600 m to our goal. Here we parked and started walking towards the confluence along a water channel. Only after walking half a kilometer we found out that the confluence was on the other side and that there was no bridge. So we had no other choice than walking all the way back to our vehicle and start again from there. Luckily a 2D-line object such as a water channel has only two sides – consequently this time we had to be on the correct side.
The confluence turned out to be 120 m into a field with tiny corn sprouts – as far as I could tell.
After completion of our visit, we directly drove to the Atlantic Coast to La Rochelle, were we spend two confluenceless days. Here we saw the 2010 Cliff Diving World Contest, where the divers jumped from a 27.5 m high defense tower Saint Nicolas.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 630 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 40 min
- Time at the CP: 4:29 pm
- Measured height: 5 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 1 m
- Vegetation: In a field with young sprouts.
- Distance to a road: 530 m
- Distance to a track: 200 m
- Distance to houses: 500 m (the village L’Houmée)
- Topography: generally flat, some slight slope near the water channel.
- Weather: sunny, 20° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In an agricultural dominated area the Département Charente-Maritime, in the Region Poitou-Charentes in Western France. Exact location in the middle of a field.
- Given Name: The False Choice Confluence
Story continues at 48°N 3°E.