09-Oct-2010 -- This report is the second out of a series of four confluences that I visited during an October weekend on a tour from Zurich (Switzerland) to the Region Rhône-Alpes in France and Piermonte in Italy. The story starts from 46°N 6°E.
I started from 46°N 6°E, which is 110 km north from this confluence at 8:30 a.m. Via the motorway bypassing Grenoble and traversing the Col d’Oron (1367 m), I reached the village Chantelouve (3.0 km distance to CP, 1144 m altitude, Δheight = 1260 m). Here, in “Les Faures” (which is one of the hamlets making up Chantelouve) I parked my car and started the hike.
Basically, I followed the track described by Picot Sylviane who hiked to this confluence one month earlier. First I zig-zaged a forestry road that can still be used by cars (if you have the permission) up to a hight of 1420 m. Then, I crossed over to the north side of the Malsanne River, which is a creek with staggered waterfalls. A footpath further zig-zags through a conifer forest and after reaching the tree line at an altitude of 1700 m the remaining hike is across open pasture land. I passed a hut that can be used to stay overnight (2090 m) and then a mysterious stone wall.
The confluence is situated on the south side of the mountain “Petit Renaud”, on a steep slope (but not dangerously steep) with a grass cover. Here I enjoyed the great views into the Malsanne valley whilst having traditional mountain hiker’s “bread and cheese”.
I climbed another 200 m further up in height and reached the mountain Petit Renaud, from where one can see l’Alpe-d’Huez in the north.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 3 km
- Walking time (incl. return): 5 hours
- Time at the CP: 1:33 pm
- Measured height: 2400 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 0 m
- Vegetation: only grass, thin layer of soil, partially uncovered rock face.
- Distance to a road: 2.5 km
- Distance to a track: ca. 100 m
- Distance to houses: 2.5 km
- Topography: on a steep southern slope, high alpine mountain area.
- Weather: cloudless and sunny, 24° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the Département Isère, belonging to the Region Rhône-Alpes in eastern France. Just 400 m from the mountain peak “Petit Renaud” (2604 m) and 1.3 km from the mountain “Pic du Col d’Ornon” (2871 m). Great views to the south into the Malsanne Valley.
- Given Name: The Great Renaud Confluence
Story continues at 45°N 7°E.