02-Apr-2011 -- This report is the second out of a series of two confluences that we visited during an extended weekend trip to Graz and Ljubljana.
From 47°N 15°E it was quite a long drive to reach this confluence point which is located 111 km further to the South. Instead of returning back to Graz and following smoothly the motorway, we took a complicated shortcut through the mountains. In particular for the last 10 km beeline (after crossing the Sava River which runs 12 km north of the confluence point), we drove on tiny, unsealed tracks through the forests. This turned out to become a difficult, if not scary drive. However, after 3 hours driving, we finally parked at a distance of 190 m from the confluence point directly at the side of a small county road.
In order to get to the confluence, we had to descend into a steep forested valley, cross a little stream, follow the stream a bit upwards and nail down the exact location a little climb up on the northern valley flank. The point is located in a beech forest that was not yet foliated. The ground was covered with white flowers.
Getting an accurate reading of the coordinates turned out to be difficult at this location. It took me quite a set of 10 attempts until I got all zeros lined up – with a displayed accuracy of 15 m. This relatively low accuracy is probably due to the slopes and the trees that shadow and distort the satellite signals.
After our visit, we continued our trip to the historic city Ljubljana, where we spend the night.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from parking: 190 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 40 min
- Time at the CP: 4:50 pm
- Measured height: 447 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 15 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 0 m
- Vegetation: Beech trees, ground covered with foliage and some white flowers.
- Distance to a road: 180 m
- Distance to a path: 40 m
- Distance to houses: 200 m
- Topography: in a steep valley, generally mountainous area.
- Weather: sunny, 24° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Slovenia 35 km east from its capital. The general area is partly forest and partly agricultural land with scattered little farms.
- Given Name: The Tiny Tracks Confluence