03-Aug-2011 -- This is the 2nd out of 6 confluences that we reached on a 3-week trip through Honshū and Hokkaidō. The story starts at 36°N 140°E.
On our way from Nikkō (日光市) to Niigata (新潟市) we detoured a little in order to visit this degree confluence point. We left the highway at Nasu (那須町) and were able to approach the confluence via little county roads up to a distance of 36 m by car.
In my GPS display, the field for the distance was unintentionally exchanged with the altitude – which was 392 m. So we started walking far into the underwood and wondering why the distance to the confluence point was not decreasing. After hiking a huge circle, we finally reached the confluence next to our parked car. This kind of mistake could be understandable if it happened to a beginner. But as an old hand in confluencing this is embarrassing.
There is a white pole at the confluence that indicates the latitude, longitude and altitude of the location. A chopped tree next to it has a carved cross showing the north direction. 10 m from the confluence, there is an information board. There is also a logbook where visitors can eternalize their success. Unfortunately, we were not able to read the information because mosquitoes attacked us. While walking they didn’t come to us, but as soon as we stood at the confluence point, they took opportunity to get a portion of our blood. So we abruptly abandoned our visit and jumped back into our car.
We continued further north and stayed in the hot spring town Aizu-Wakamatsu (会津若松市).
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 36 m
- Distance to a track: 36 m
- Distance of parking: 36 m
- Distance to houses: 120 m
- Time starting the hike: 2:30 p.m.
- Time at the CP: 2:50 p.m.
- Measured height: 392 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- Topography: relatively flat
- Vegetation: different trees, bushes, grass, moss and swamps.
- Weather: overcast, 25° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the Region Kantō, 5 km north-east of Nasushiobara City. Next to swamp land in underwood.
- Given Name: The Sudden Mosquitoes Confluence
The story continues at 43°N 142°E.