18-Feb-2012 -- This is the fifth out of six confluences that I visited during a short trip to Australia. The story begins at 33°S 151°E. The previous visit is 34°S 149°E.
A visit of this confluence point requires a detour of 20 kilometers to the town Murrumbateman when approaching the confluence from the main highway between Canberra and Sydney. Lacking of a detailed map, I cruised around the outskirts of Murrumbateman looking for a road that could take me close to the confluence point. After several attempts that ended in dead ends, I finally gave up and parked my vehicle at a distance of 1.1 km next to a large pasture.
So I walked across the pasture, crossed a little forest and some other pastures where the predominating species of animals were not sheep or cows but kangaroos.
I was quite astonished when I reached the confluence point, because there appeared a road in front of me (at 100 m distance from the confluence). Actually this road was ending here but there was no clear reason why one would build a dead-end road here in the middle of nowhere. As if it had been built for the convenience for confluence hunters and I hadn’t even used the opportunity to drive on it. However, this road has not existed at the previous visits to this point. I expect that the confluence will be soon in a settlement.
The confluence is in the middle of a meadow with high grass. When I took the GPS-evidence picture a curious fly observed the zero-coordinates as witness. After documentation of the area, I had to backtrack the way that I had come, since I had to get back to my car.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 100 m
- Distance to a road: 100 m
- Distance to a track: 100 m
- Distance of parking: 1.1 km
- Distance to houses: 600 m
- Time starting the hike: 3:00 PM
- Time at the CP: 3:30 PM
- Measured height: 601 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: meadow with high grass and some yellow flowers, little forests in 300 m distance
- Weather: sunny, 31° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In New South Wales, area with cattle and sheep farming.
- Given Name: The Curious Fly Confluence
Story continues at 35°S 150°E.