30-Apr-2012 -- This is the last out of three confluences that we visited during an extended weekend trip to the Netherlands. The narrative of this trip starts at 52°N 5°E.
After visiting the Floriade 2012 (World Horticultural Expo) in Venlo, we drove to Schiermonnikoog, an Island in the northern Netherlands, belonging to the West Frisian Islands. On our way, we first visited 52°N 6°E and then continued further north, where we came nearby this confluence point. We left the motorway at Tjalleberd and reached the nice little village Luxwoude shortly after. From Luxwoude it is just 1 km to the confluence point, but it is on the ‘wrong’ side of the motorway. So we encircled the point and approached it from direct north (this is recommendable, because a track from north directly leads to the confluence point).
The confluence point is located on a meadow with grass and Common Dandelion with its bright yellow color. In the vicinity (i.e. in 15 m beeline distance) there is a water channel. To access the point, it is necessary to approach it from the West, since the channel (which is too wide for jumping over) is located in the East.
After this pleasant visit that included a walk of 20 minutes through agricultural area, we continued our trip to the coast at Lauwersoog, where we just got the 3:30 ferry to Schiermonnikoog.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 412 m (motorway, parking not legally possible)
- Distance to a public road: 700 m
- Distance to a track: 150 m
- Distance of parking: 1.2 km
- Distance to houses: 800 m
- Time starting the hike: 13:30 PM
- Time at the CP: 13:50 PM
- Measured height: -1 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: meadow with yellow flowers (common dandelion)
- Weather: sunny, 26° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the Nothern Netherlands, about 45 km south of the coastline to the North Sea.
- Given Name: The Common Dandelion Confluence
The story finishes here.