11-Aug-2012 -- This is the first out of two confluences that I visited during an extended weekend trip to Catalonia in Spain.
Two days earlier – on a Thursday afternoon – I realized that I could take Friday off from work and make a bicycle trip. Trains from Zurich to Austria and France wouldn’t take bicycles so I checked flights and found a good offer to Barcelona – leaving 3 hours later! So I quickly packed the minimal ingredients for a 3-day-bike tour and rode to the airport. The bike had to be boxed, but was allowed on the plane free of charge. During the flight I checked the area and found this confluence point to be feasible to be reached by bicycle.
From Barcelona, it took me much longer than had I expected to get to the point. After cycling 1.5 days on extremely mountainous terrain, I finally reached the village Vilanova de Meià (1.8 km from CP), located in an amazing location right at the edge of the first Pyrenean mountain ranges. On a little asphalt road I got to the 70-people-village Santa Maria de Meià (900 m from CP). From there, a steep track upwards let me get up to 300 m distance where I abandoned the bike in order to hike the remaining part.
The confluence is located on a little plateau on the otherwise steep terrain. There a great views towards the southern lowlands, but also directly northwards to the near mountain peaks. The vegetation consists of scattered laurel trees and dry grass. The surface is covered with lichen overgrown gravel.
To visit this confluence at noon in August is certainly not too pleased temperature wise. But I can handle hot weather quite well. Nevertheless I enjoyed a long lunch break (siesta) in Vilanova before continuing the tour.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 800 m
- Distance to a public road: 800 m
- Distance to a track: 300 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 300 m
- Distance to houses: 800 m
- Time at the CP: 11:52 AM
- Measured height: 828 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 3 m
- Topography: steep southern flank of a mountain range
- Vegetation: laurel trees, various kinds of bushes, grass
- Weather: sunny, 35° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the province of Lleida (Cataluña), above the remote village Santa Maria de Meià, on an incline.
- Given Name: The Sudden Pyrenees Confluence
Story continues at 42°N 2°E.