06-Nov-2012 -- The story starts at 43°S 147°E and continues from 37°S 146°E.
On my bicycle trip's section between Melbourne and Sydney, I came across this confluence point at noon time of the third day. I had camped out at Chilteren caravan park located 40 km beeline from the confluence point.
The deviation from my route began in Albury (10 km from CP) by taking road no. 31 towards Hoolbrook in a north-eastern direction. At a distance of 1 km, I found a gravel track that took me up to 450 m distance. Then, the hiking part began. I followed an overhead power-line up a hill through a meadow until I reached the edge of a soybean field. Since the field was not yet harvested, I didn't enter the field and took the pictures from a distance of 25 m.
I continued my bike trip via Thurgoona across Lake Hume. The gigant artificial lake is a result of damming the Murray river.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 1 km
- Distance to a public road: 450 m
- Distance to a track: 90 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 450 m
- Time to reach CP from bicycle parking: 15 minutes
- Time at CP: 11:45 AM
- Measured height: 222 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 25 m
- Position accuracy at turn around: 3 m
- Topography: hilly
- Vegetation: soybeans, scattered trees
- Weather: partly cloudy, 20° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Hilly Soybean Confluence
More pictures of the trip can found at mautz.net.
The story continues at confluence 36°S 148°E.