W
NW
N
N
NE
W
the Degree Confluence Project
E
SW
S
S
SE
E

Estonia

Tartu, Estonia
([?] maps: Google MapQuest Multimap)

Accuracy: 10 m (32 ft)
Click on any of the images for the full-sized picture.

#2: UNESCO plate / Табличка ЮНЕСКО #3: The First point / Первая точка #4: Observatory coordinates / Координаты обсерватории #5: The monument / Памятник #6: Observatory info plate / Информационная табличка обсерватории #7: Observatory instruments / Инструменты обсерватории #8: Pavilion with Petzval astrograph / Павильон с Пецваль астрографом #9: Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve / Василий Яковлевич Струве #10: In front of the observatory / Перед обсерваторией

  { Main | Search | Countries | Information | Member Page | Random }

  58°22'44"N 26°43'12"E (special) 

#1: The general view to the old observatory / Общий вид старой обсерватории

(visited by Yakov Stepanov)

English

15-Мая-2016 -- Пункт Геодезической дуги Струве под названием «Дорпат» примечателен сразу по нескольким причинам. Во-первых, это один из 37 пунктов, включенных в список Всемирного наследия ЮНЕСКО. Во-вторых, один из 13 пунктов, которые являются основными. Это так называемые «обсерватории», на которых производились измерения и вычисления широт. И в-третьих, что, пожалуй, важнее всего, «Дорпат» – первый пункт из всех 254. Начав построение знаменитой геодезической дуги, Струве создал первый ее измерительный пункт именно здесь – в уездном городе Тарту Лифляндской губернии. Это уже потом дуга протянулась на юг и на север.

Тарту – не единственное имя города. Изначально он носил славянское имя Юрьев. Потом надолго стал называться на немецкий манер – Дорпат (Dorpat) или Дерпт (Dörpt). Как раз в этот период его истории здесь много лет жил и руководил Дерптской обсерваторией В.Я.Струве. И уже в начале XX века город обрел нынешнее имя. А пункт свое сохранил.

Обсерватория была построена в 1810 году. Архитектор Йоханн Вильхельм Краузе создал проект здания на холме Тооме неподалеку от Дерптского (Тартуского) университета. Проект был на то время крайне прогрессивный. По нему же впоследствии строилась Пулковская обсерватория, которой, кстати, также руководил Василий Яковлевич. Первые инструменты для астрономических наблюдений были установлены уже через четыре года после основания обсерватории. В 1824 здесь же появился девятидюймовый рефрактор Фраунгофера, крупнейший на то время ахроматический телескоп мира.

Через десятки лет после создания обсерватории ее практическое использование стало невозможно из-за светового загрязнения, поэтому научный центр переехал дальше от Тарту, в новое здание. Ну, а в старом здании на холме сегодня открыт общественный центр научного образования, музей астрономии, а также действует клуб астрономов-любителей. В одном из залов представлена история генеалогического древа Струве со всеми его восемнадцатью детьми.

Первое, что видишь, подходя к Обсерватории это необычный угловатый памятник с надписью «STRUVE F.W. 1793-1864». Он называется «Дуга Струве» и был открыт в 1969 году. Согласно задумке авторов памятника, абстрактная композиция олицетворяет вечное стремление человека к звёздам и космическим пространствам. Нижняя часть памятника символизирует цилиндрические солнечные часы, а столбы представляют собой несколько видоизменённые песочные часы.

Но мемориальная точка, определенная самим Струве и давшая начало Русско-Скандинавской дуге меридиана находится не здесь. Пункт расположен прямо в обсерватории и является одним из экспонатов музея. Он привязан к плану главного корпуса. Его точная позиция закреплена круглой медной табличкой, вмурованной в пол.

English

15-May-2016 -- The Struve Geodetic Arc point "Dorpat" is notable for several reasons. Firstly it is one of the 37 points included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Secondly it is one of the 13 base points. They are so called "observatories" where measurements and calculations of the latitudes were performed. And thirdly – what’s the more important – "Dorpat" is the very first point of all 254. Starting the construction of the famous geodetic arc Struve created its initial measuring point right here – in Tartu town, Livonia Province (one of the Baltic governors of the Russian Empire, now divided between the Republic of Latvia and the Republic of Estonia). Then the arc stretched south and north.

Tartu is not the only name of the town. In the beginning it had the Slavic name Yuriev. Then for a long time it had been called in a German manner – Dorpat or Dörpt. Just in this period for many years V. Y. Struve lived here and led of the Dorpat Observatory. And already in the beginning of the XX century, the town got its current name in Estonian. But the point has kept its original name.

The Observatory was built in 1810. Architect Johann Wilhelm Krause created the project of a building on the Toome hill not far from the Dorpat (Tartu) University. The project was quite progressive for its time. Later the Pulkovo Observatory was built by this project, too. By the way it was also headed by Vasiliy Yakovlevitch (born as Friedrich Georg Wilhelm). The first instruments for astronomical observations were installed only four years after foundation of the observatory. In 1824 a nine-inch Fraunhofer refractor appeared here. It was the world's biggest achromatic telescope for the time being.

In the decades after the creation of the observatory its practical use became impossible due to the light pollution. So the science center moved into the new building farther from Tartu. And nowadays in the old building on a hill are a public center for scientific education, an astronomy museum, and a club of amateur astronomers. In one of the halls the Struve family tree with all his eighteen children is presented.

The first thing you see coming to the Observatory is an unusual angular monument with the inscription "STRUVE F. W. 1793-1864". It’s called "The Struve Arc" and was opened in 1969. According to the authors’ idea the abstract composition symbolizes eternal longing of man to the stars and outer spaces. The lower part of the monument is the cylindrical sun clock and the columns represent a slightly transformed sandglass.

But the memorial point defined by Struve and anchoring the line of the Russian-Scandinavian Arc of the meridian is not located here. It’s located directly in the observatory and is one of the museum exhibits. The point is tied to the plan of the main building. Its exact position is marked with a copper plate embedded in a floor.


 All pictures
#1: The general view to the old observatory / Общий вид старой обсерватории
#2: UNESCO plate / Табличка ЮНЕСКО
#3: The First point / Первая точка
#4: Observatory coordinates / Координаты обсерватории
#5: The monument / Памятник
#6: Observatory info plate / Информационная табличка обсерватории
#7: Observatory instruments / Инструменты обсерватории
#8: Pavilion with Petzval astrograph / Павильон с Пецваль астрографом
#9: Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve / Василий Яковлевич Струве
#10: In front of the observatory / Перед обсерваторией
ALL: All pictures on one page (broadband access recommended)