27-Nov-2019 -- This report is the 6th out of nine reports reaching or attempting confluence points during my 2-week bicycle trip around Cuba. The story starts at 21°N 76°W and continues from 21°N 78°W.
This confluence had been visited already, but it lay on my route along the central highway, such that I decided to visit it. As usual, I had a long lunch break to avoid staying the hottest time in the sun. In the city of Ciego de Avila (50 km from CP) I set off at 2 PM towards the confluence, which is 10 km off the central highway.
On a gravel road I was able to reach the confluence directly – exactly 100 m were missing. To enjoy a zero reading, I had to enter a meadow with sheep on it. The confluence was on the far edge inside the field with high standing grass. 13 years ago the previous visitor had found the confluence in a corn field.
I continued further west and reached the town Jatibonico at sunset. This time I had trouble finding accommodation. But local people were very helpful such that I got a private place to stay at the end.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 100 m
- Distance to a track: 100 m
- Distance to a footpath: 100 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 100 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the road: 5 min
- Time at the confluence: 4:22 PM
- Measured height: 160 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: almost flat
- Vegetation: high standing gras, bushes, palm tree
- Weather: sunny, 28° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Sheep Field Confluence
The story continues at 23°N 80°W.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.