14-Dec-2019 -- This is the 6th out of 21 successful revisits and 2 unsuccessful attempts on unvisited confluences in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 27°N 44°E.
At 8 AM we started from the city of Hail and drove 100 km to the oasis town Jubbah. The confluence is located in the south-eastern outskirts of Jubbah. The confluence belongs to the group of confluences that can be reached by car, i.e. have a public road within the 100 m circle. I call them “drive-ins”.
We parked our car at a distance of 90 m on an earth road. At the early Saturday morning, we didn’t expect any cars or people and indeed we didn’t meet anybody. To get a zero reading, it was not necessary to scale a fence, because the animal fence had already been taken down partially.
The vegetation at the confluence consists of little scattered bushes in-between bare soil. There a palm trees, houses and agricultural fields in the vicinity.
After finishing the quick confluence visit, we went to see the famous petroglyphs of Jubbah. We got invited to have Arabic coffee in a traditional home in Jubbah.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 90 m
- Distance to a track: 90 m
- Distance of car parking: 90 m
- Time to reach the confluence from car parking: 1 minute
- Time at the confluence: 9:42 AM
- Measured height: 812 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat – some hills further away
- Vegetation: scattered bushes
- Weather: sunny, 16° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Fence Down Confluence
The story continues at 30°N 40°E.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.