26-Dec-2019 -- This is the 20th out of 21 successful revisits plus 2 unsuccessful attempts on unvisited confluences in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 20°N 44°E.
We visited this confluence point on our way to Riyadh. The confluence is about 5 km east of the main highway no.10. But there is an asphalted road to the east that comes as close as 3150 m to the confluence. At that location, we parked. I put on my running shoes and hurried to the confluence. The run across the flat sandy gravel plain was quick.
To my surprise, I found two pillars in a distance of 61 m from the confluence point. I don’t know their purpose, but they seem to have some connection with the confluence. Besides the Arabic text, I can read the letters “MPMR” and “DMMR”. If you know the background, you are more than welcome to give me further details.
I ran back and reached the car at sunset. We continued our trip to Riyadh and spent the night in the town Howtat Bani Tamim.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 3 km
- Distance to a track: 3 km
- Distance of car parking: 3150 m
- Time to reach the confluence point from the car: 15 minutes
- Time at the confluence point: 4:24 PM
- Measured height: 627 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 2 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: few scattered bushes and acacia trees
- Weather: sunny, 20° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Mysterious Pillars Confluence
The story continues at 24°N 47°E.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.