27-Jun-2020 -- This report is the last out of eight reports reaching confluence points during a 5-day bicycle trip (901 km) from Tallinn to Riga. The story starts at 59°N 26°E and continues from 57°N 25°E.
At noon time I reached Riga, the capital city of Latvia and found it quite empty compared to the two previous times that I had seen the city. But it was no wonder as foreign travellers are almost missing completely these days. However, I met one German guy in the restaurant in the old city.
After having filled my stomach, I was up for a little excursion to the confluence that was less than 10 km as the crows fly.
I followed the road Kleistu iela up to a turn off in 1.7 km distance. Then I followed a forest track up to a distance of 250 m where I abandoned my bike and walked towards the confluence point. Thereby I came across to a hidden forest cemetery. Shortly after, I began to climb the hill to the confluence point. It is amazing that the confluence is located at a steep slope in an otherwise flat area. At the slope, I saw the sign-post. In the four cardinal directions is printed:
- A Rīgas Paralēle (Astrum = East)
- 24° 00’ 00,0” D (Dienvid = South)
- 57° 00’ 00,0” R (Rietum = West)
- Z Rīgas Meridiāns (Ziemel = North)
The sign has meanwhile become greenish from moss that grows on it well.
After the confluence visit, I made a little joyride to the coast and then headed towards the airport, where my flight back to Zurich was taking off the next day.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 1.7 km
- Distance to a track: 12 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 250 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the road: 20 minutes
- Time at the confluence: 4:14 PM
- Measured height: 16 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 5 m
- Topography: located at a steep slope, otherwise flat
- Vegetation: pine forest, moss at the ground
- Weather: sunny, 31° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Wood Cemetery Confluence
The story finishes here.