05-May-2005 -- The story starts from 50N 11E.
This is the fifth visit out of a 10-confluence-hunt along the 50 degree latitude line. The special purpose of that trip was to visit as many confluence points as possible within one day.
Coming from 50N 8E we took a ferry across the river Rhein, entered the 'Autobahn' A60 and A61 towards Koblenz. We did not refill our gasoline in Winkel, because we wanted to catch a ferry in time. In Ingelheim we didn’t find any gas station on our way and on the highway as well. The situation got so critical, that we had to leave the highway and drive to Bingen in order to get some gasoline before we would run out of it.
This cost us precious time and was considered as our second major mistake that day.
When we reached the high elevated area of the Hunsrück mountains we got into a very dense fog and had to crawl over the country roads. When we entered the beautiful Mosel-valley, the weather got better and the sun came out. Leaving the steep valley of the Mosel towards Ürzig, we had a wonderful view of the valley and the towns next to the river. Reaching the confluence was easy and required just a hike of 40 m.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 11:00 a.m.
- Driving time to get to the CP: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Driving distance: 107 km
- Distance of car parking: 39 m
- Distance to a track: 17 m
- Distance to a road: 39 m
- Distance to houses: 2000 m
- Topography: flat at the spot, generally quite mountainous
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0.99 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 6 m
- GPS height: 180 m
- Vegetation: Beech-tree forest, tree trunks covered with ivy, some grass on the ground.
- Weather: sunny, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Specialities: Next to the country road.
- Description of the CP: Just 2 km north of the Mosel valley. Area mostly forested, sporadically farm land. In the Mosel valley mostly wine.
- Given Name: The Mosel Valley Confluence
Story continues at 50N 6E.