30-Aug-2008 -- We were invited for the wedding ceremony of my good old friend from university, Nicole Schmidt, now Nicole Westhoff. Nicole and Matthias married in Winkel’s impressive St. Walburga Church that origins date back to the year 1213.
Normally I don’t revisit confluence points. This time however, I could not resist, because St. Walburga Church is in only 600 m distance to the confluence point. The chance to be within 600 m in the vicinity of a confluence at this latitude is about 1 to 7000. I determined this number by dividing the area of a 600 m circle with the area of a confluence-square: (π * 0.6 km * 0.6 km) / (111 km * 71.7 km) = 1 : 7037.
Elionora and I came by car from my hometown Wiesbaden (20 km distance, the most beautiful place on earth) and parked near the St. Walburga Church. We were (intentionally) an hour early before the wedding ceremony would begin, so we had enough time to have a pleasant walk through the old Wine town Winkel. Wearing our traditional costumes (Bavarian Dirndl and Leather Trousers) we were greeted by many people on the street. We were also welcomed to visit the location of the confluence, which is in a colourful garden at the backside of a private house. Our previous visit of the confluence had been part of our 10-confluences-a-day race. At that time, it had been too early in the day for disturbing the confluence owners.
We also visited the official confluence monument which is located in a small park in 80 m distance. It consists of a natural stone with a metal globe on top. The two benches invited for a sit-in, but it was already time to proceed to the church wedding.
At the wedding, we met our good old friends and colleges and enjoyed the celebration having the best possible weather. Later, we had a great dinner and reception at Kloster Johannisberg until 3 am.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 25 m
- Distance of parking the car: 630 m
- Distance to houses: 5 m
- Time for the hike: 15 minutes
- Time at the CP: 3:22 p.m.
- Driving time (distance) from Wiesbaden: 0:20 hours (20 km)
- Measured height: 105 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 10 m
- Topography: Slope to the South.
- Vegetation: beautiful gardenland with a lawn, flowers, bushes and various kind of trees.
- Weather: sunny, 26° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: At the northern rim of the town Winkel (officially called Oestrich Winkel). Across the street, the famous wine area stretches along the southern part of the Taunus mountain range. You can say it is located in the heart of the Rheingau, which is a famous wine and tourist region in Germany.
- Given Name: Nicole’s and Matthias’s Confluence