20-Mar-2009 -- This is the forth out of six confluence points that I visited this beautiful sunny Friday in the eve of spring. The story starts from 53°N 10°E.
Coming from 53°N 8°E it took me two hours to reach this confluence located 111 km to the south. I took the Autobahn A1 to Osnabrück and then the country roads 51 and 475 to Spassenberg. I ended up in a dead end road, where I parked the rental car. It was a pleasant walk of 360 m to the confluence. Spring season had just started officially one hour before my visit here (from the astronomical point of view) and accordingly the weather became perfect even if it had been freezing in the morning, it had now a comfortable 15° C.
The confluence point turned out to be located in an asparagus field or at least a field that was ploughed for asparagus with very deep and wide furrows. The point was 15 m into the field and easily accessible from a small road with birch trees lined up.
I walked the same way back to the car and continued to 52°N 9°E. Unfortunately, I missed the confluence monument, which consists of an erratic block with the coordinates added in a metal grid.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from starting point: 111 km
- Driving distance from starting point: 147 km
- Departure time: 11:48 am
- Distance and time of parking: 361 m (1:46 pm)
- Time at the CP: 1:56 pm
- Minimal distance to the CP: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- Measured height: 57 m
- Vegetation: none (under the earth probably asparagus). Birch trees nearby.
- Distance to a road: 300 m
- Distance to a track: 15 m
- Distance to houses: 200 m
- Topography: totally flat
- Weather: sunny, 15° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: Located in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen between the towns Milte and Sassenberg. In a agricultural dominated area. No hills, neither near nor far.
- Given Name: The Asparagus Furrow Confluence
Story continues at 52°N 9°E.