17-Dec-2019 -- This is the 10th out of 21 successful revisits and 2 unsuccessful attempts on unvisited confluences in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 28°N 38°E.
When we reached the nearest point on the asphalt road in 900 m distance to the confluence point, Elionora was scheduled to have an online meeting for her work. Although internet access is abundant in Saudi Arabia, here it was not available. So we agreed that she would proceed by car until she would have at least a 3G data connection while I was visiting the confluence point.
The confluence was less spectacular, located on a sandy gravel plain with scattered dry bushes. It took me only 10 minutes to visit the confluence and return to the road. Since there was no car and no mobile connection, I continued running along the road. I ran for 10 kilometres, until Elionora appeared in our rental car on the horizon. She had been able to find data connection and had to successfully participate at her teleconference.
After the visit, we continued to the UNESCO world heritage sites at Mada’in Saleh. Unfortunately, all the touristic sites were closed due to construction, but we had great views on many giant rocks.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 900 m
- Distance to a track: 900 m (it would be possible to drive off-road to the confluence across the desert)
- Distance of car parking: 900 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the car: 5 minutes
- Time at the confluence: 12:03 PM
- Measured height: 938 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: scattered bundles of dry grass
- Weather: sunny, 15° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Teleconference Confluence
The story continues at 26°N 38°E.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.