11-Dec-2019 -- This is the third out of 21 successful revisits and 2 unsuccessful attempts on unvisited confluences in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 27°N 47°E.
This confluence point is 400 m from National Highway 85. We parked our car directly at the road. Even though it is a motorway like road, there is always a side-track where you can park your car anytime. It was an easy stroll across the flat sandy desert to the confluence point.
From the confluence point, the trucks passing by on the nearby motorway can be seen. There are also two drilling towers in the vicinity. The ground is covered with sand scattered with low growing shrubs. Unfortunately, plastic bags blown by the wind got stuck in those shrubs such that we didn’t have the feeling of a natural desert.
After a u-turn, we drove to the city of Ḥafar al-Bāṭin.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 400 m
- Distance to a track: 400 m
- Distance of car parking: 400 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the car: 10 min
- Time at the confluence: 3:46 PM
- Measured height: 269 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: little bushes
- Weather: sunny, 24° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Scattered Plastic Bags Confluence
The story continues at 28°N 45°E.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.