30-Apr-2012 -- This is the second out of three confluences that we visited during an extended weekend trip to the Netherlands. The narrative of this trip starts at 52°N 5°E.
After visiting the Floriade 2012 (World Horticultural Expo) in Venlo, we drove to Schiermonnikoog, an island in the northern Netherlands, belonging to the West Frisian Islands. On our way, we made an excursion of about 5 km to visit this confluence point. The navigation system guided us to the nearest road in about 300 m distance, but safe parking is only possible at the national road N785 in 800 m distance. From there we walked all around the confluence point along the bike path. Since it was the National Holiday (Queen’s Day, in the Netherlands called Koninginnedag), there was such a dense bicycle traffic that we almost felt out of place while walking as normal pedestrians.
The confluence point is located on a meadow with grass in the vicinity of a farmhouse. To access the point, it is necessary to jump over some drainage ditches.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 315 m
- Distance to a public road: 315 m
- Distance to a track: 65 m
- Distance of parking: 770 m
- Distance to houses: 126 m
- Time starting the hike: 10:20 AM
- Time at the CP: 10:42 AM
- Measured height: 10 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 3 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: agricultural field (grass)
- Weather: sunny, 23° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: 1 km west of the town Velp and 7 km west of the city Arnhem. The confluence is located 870 m north of the river IJssel. In a densely populated, but also agricultural area.
- Given Name: The IJssel Confluence
Story continues at 53°N 6°E.