the Degree Confluence Project

France : Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

1.3 km (0.8 miles) E of Rigaud, Alpes-Maritimes, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Approx. altitude: 750 m (2460 ft)
([?] maps: Google MapQuest OpenStreeMap ConfluenceNavigator)
Antipode: 44°S 173°W

Accuracy: 92 m (301 ft)
Quality: good

Click on any of the images for the full-sized picture.

#2: View towards E from the confluence #3: View towards S from the confluence #4: View towards W from the confluence #5: GPS readings #6: This way down (or up)... #7: The gorge (view towards E) #8: On the way in the gorge #9: View towards W along the gorge #10: Suspension bridge over the Cians

  { Main | Search | Countries | Information | Member Page | Random }

  44°N 7°E (visit #4)  

#1: General view of the confluence (towards N)

(visited by Wojciech Czombik)


27-Feb-2010 -- A short stay on the French Riviera would not be complete without a visit to a confluence point. The one nearest to Nice lies about 40 km away (as the crow flies), in the Maritime Alps, on the slopes of the Cians river valley at a height of ca. 750 m. The narratives of previous visitors indicated that this was one of the more difficult points to get to – located on a rocky, steep slope, in a quite remote location.

I landed in Nice on Friday afternoon. While the plane was descending to the airport I watched curiously the surrounding hills – was there still snow there or not? The first conqueror of the CP visited it in January and his photos and description suggested that there were no snow then. But this year’s winter was unusually severe and I was afraid that at a height of 700 - 800 m snow may still persist. Moreover, an acquaintance of mine living in Nice wrote to me “From Nice it's about one hour drive to get there, and in summer something like one extra hour walking... not that much actually, but now, I don't think you can get there safely, especially alone in the snow with bad weather! You're right in the Southern Alps…”

Aerial observations didn’t give an authoritative response – white peaks of the Maritime Alps were far away, some closer hills were patched with snow, others were already free from it. The landing in Nice is an attraction in itself – the plane comes in from above the mountains, descends along the seashore, makes a circle over the sea and touches down the runway that is located directly on the shore of the Mediterranean. It was the first time that the first vehicle that I saw after landing at the airport was a motorboat…/p>

A jump from the country where the temperature was well below minus ten degrees centigrade to the land where spring was in full bloom was shocking, but very enjoyable. It became quite understandable why the British upper class used to spend their winter there, leaving behind marks that remained until today like Promenade des Anglais.

I didn’t have a car at my disposal in Nice, so I had to use public transport to get to the confluence. The first search on the SNCF (French railways) website didn’t yield any positive results, although the map showed that there was a railway line near to the CP. Only after browsing a guidebook I realized that the line was operated by an independent company Chemins de Fer de Provence that provided a narrow gauge connection between Nice and Digne-les-Bains.

On a sunny Saturday morning I departed from Nice at 08:50 AM by a railcar heading for Annot. The train that was full of weekend tourists, passed through several tunnels and came to the valley of the Var river. A beautifully designed route gradually climbed along the river to the north, in the direction of the Maritime Alps.

The water level in the river was quite low – apparently the spring runoff had not yet begun. Numerous little villages were located on the steep slopes of the broad valley. Later on the valley became narrower and its slopes got even steeper. Still following the river we turned west in Plan-du-Var and at 10:04 we arrived at the station Touët-sur-Var. Just one more passenger got off there along with me. From there the distance to the point where I was going to start my hike towards the confluence was ca. 8 km along the road.

In the last resort I was prepared to cover the route on foot but first I gave hitchhiking a try. It was Saturday and a lot of cars were going toward the ski resorts of Valberg and Isola. Few of them, however, were willing to stop. I managed to ride in stages – first to the junction with the D28 road leading into the Cians river valley and then to the settlement of Moulin de Rigaud. I got off a bit too early, at the very beginning of the village and I had to go through a tunnel and walk along the road several hundred meters more. At 11:00 I was ready to set off for the route.

The weather was perfect – it was sunny, snowless and very hot as for my notion of February – almost 15 °C. To get to the slope where the confluence point lay I had to cross the Cians river. Previous visitors reported that the only possibility to do that was a suspension bridge. Through a wood I made my way down to the river and I stopped at the entrance to the bridge. Access to it was marked as a “private road”. I ignored the warning and through a swinging construction I went to the other side. If the bridge weren’t there it would be really troublesome to get across the turbulent water.

Behind the bridge a path led straight on to a single farm. Following the GPS readings I turned left and tried to get up a slope where the confluence point lay. Along the river I came to a steep, almost vertical escarpment of about 10 m height. Attempts to climb it took me more than half an hour and finally I had to admit defeat. Apparently it was not the right way, so I retreated to the bridge and tried to reach the CP from the other side.

I circled the farm and I came to the mouth of a rocky ravine. An idea came to my mind to go up along a stream and try to approach the CP from the bottom. I started a slow walk up the ravine. The distance to the CP decreased very slowly, while the difficulty of walking increased – I had to squeeze between wet, slippery boulders and walk around fallen trunks. Finally I got to a point lying about 300 m away from the confluence. There the GPS indicated that I needed to change the direction towards the north and begin to start an ascent of a steep wall of the ravine.

The beginning was not very difficult, just a very steep slope, overgrown with bushes and low trees, and the ground that used to slide down. Soon it became even steeper and keeping my balance was a great challenge. Clinging to the branches of trees and shrubs I moved upwards step by step with great difficulty. I anxiously watched the slowly decreasing distance to the “zero” point indicated by the GPS – two hundred meters, 150 m, 120 m. One hundred and ten meters before the confluence point I came across a very dense thicket. It was so much tangled that it seemed impossible to get through. I left everything that I had with me and carrying only the GPS receiver and a camera I tried to break through the thicket. At last the GPS readings fell below 100 m – 95, 90, 85 – OK, that should be enough, taking into account the 10 m accuracy. Entwined with bushes I took pictures of the GPS receiver and the surroundings and with a sigh of relief I began the descent.

Walking down soon turned out to be even harder than the ascent. Direct descent would be dangerous, so I traversed the slope from one side to another grabbing hold of whatever I could to prevent a fall. Fortunately, the slope was quite densely overgrown and I managed to safely, albeit very slowly, reach the ravine. Only then all the tension that accompanied me while climbing left me.

But it was not the end of the expedition. Descent along the stream bed was not at all easy. Slippery, moving boulders, gravel and water flowing beneath my feet made it as troublesome as the way up. To ease the walk I took a shortcut through the farm, where my only explanation to the intrigued staff was a single word “Rigaud”. In response, they pointed at a village situated on the opposite side of the Cians river valley.

Across the suspension bridge I went back to the D28 road running along the Cians valley. Departure of the train from Touët-sur-Var was scheduled in two and a half hours’ time so I had enough time to go there on foot but along the way I was trying to hitchhike. I succeeded after three kilometres when a French couple that was returning from skiing stopped by me. My French was not suitable to clarify the purpose of my journey, but we managed to communicate in Italian, and during a short trip I tried to convey some information about the DCP project. Before 15:00 we came to Touët where I patiently waited until 16:50 hours and by a slightly delayed train I came back to Nice after 18:00.

That evening I could celebrate yet another success – after 38 years a Polish sportsman won the gold medal at the Winter Olympic Games! Therefore I would like to dedicate today’s hard confluence point visit to Ms. Justyna Kowalczyk – our gold medallist in the women's 30 km classical cross-country skiing competition in Vancouver.

Visit details:

  • Time at the CP: 12:29 PM
  • Distance to the CP: 82 m
  • GPS accuracy: 10 m
  • GPS altitude: 707 m asl
  • Temperature: ca. 15 °C

My track (PLT file) is available here.


27 lutego 2010 -- Krótki pobyt na Lazurowym Wybrzeżu nie byłby oczywiście kompletny bez odwiedzenia choć jednego punktu przecięcia. Najbliższy Nicei znajduje się w odległości (w linii prostej) ok. 40 km, położony jest jednak w górach, na zboczach doliny rzeki Cians. Z opisu poprzednich odwiedzających wynikało, że jest to jeden z trudniejszych do zdobycia punktów – położony na skalistym, stromym zboczu, w dodatku dość oddalony od „cywilizacji“.

W Nicei wylądowałem w piątkowe popołudnie. Dolatując do miasta z zaciekawieniem obserwowałem otaczające je wzgórza – czy leży na nich jeszcze śnieg? Pierwszy ze zdobywców tego punktu odwiedził go w styczniu i z zamieszczonych przez niego zdjęć i opisu wynikało, że śniegu wówczas nie było, ale tegoroczna zima była wyjątkowo sroga i bałem się, że na wysokości 700 - 800 m śnieg może wciąż zalegać. Dodatkowo zaniepokoił mnie jeden z moich korespondentów z Nicei pisząc „Z Nicei jest to około godziny jazdy i latem jakaś godzina podejścia – w sumie niedużo, ale nie sądzę, abyś teraz mógł dotrzeć tam bezpiecznie, zwłaszcza sam, w śniegu i złej pogodzie. Jesteś w końcu w Alpach Południowych…“

Obserwacja lotnicza nie przyniosła rozstrzygających rezultatów – w oddali pyszniły się białe kopuły Alp Nadmorskich, na niektórych bliższych wzgórzach leżały jeszcze płaty śniegu, inne były już od niego wolne. Samo lądowanie w Nicei jest atrakcją samą w sobie – lecący na pograniczu gór i morza samolot wykonuje okrążenie nad morzem zniżając się do lądowania na położonym nad samym brzegiem lotnisku. Po raz pierwszy pierwszym pojazdem, jaki zobaczyłem po wylądowaniu na lotnisku była zacumowana przy brzegu motorówka.

Przeskok z kraju kilkunastostopniowych mrozów do krainy bujnej wiosny, kwitnących migdałowców, mimoz i dojrzałych pomarańczy był szokujący, ale bardzo przyjemny. Zupełnie zrozumiałe stało się, dlaczego angielska „upper class” spędzała tu zimy, pozostawiając po sobie widoczne po dziś dzień ślady w postaci choćby Promenade des Anglais.

Nie dysponowałem w Nicei samochodem, musiałem zatem dotrzeć w pobliże przecięcia publicznymi środkami transportu. Pierwsze poszukiwania na stronie SNCF (kolei francuskich) nie przyniosły pozytywnego rezultatu, choć z mapy wynikało, że w pobliżu przebiega linia kolejowa. Dopiero przejrzenie przewodnika uświadomiło mi, że operatorem tej linii jest niezależna firma Chemins de Fer de Provence, utrzymująca wąskotorowe połączenie pomiędzy Niceą a Digne-les-Bains.

W słoneczny, sobotni poranek o godz. 08:50 wyruszyłem z Nicei pociągiem zwanym Train des Pignes, z w stronę miejscowości Annot. Pociąg, zapełniony weekendowymi wycieczkowiczami, pokonawszy kilka tuneli, przedostał się do doliny rzeki Var i pięknie poprowadzoną trasą stopniowo wspinał się ku północy, w kierunku Alp Nadmorskich.

Poziom wody w rzece był dość niski – widać nie rozpoczął się jeszcze wiosenny spływ wód. Na stromych zboczach szerokiej doliny rozłożyły się liczne miasteczka. Później dolina zwężyła się, a jej zbocza stały się jeszcze bardziej strome. Za Plan-du-Var wraz z rzeką skierowaliśmy się na zachód i o godz. 10:04 dojechaliśmy do stacji Touët-sur-Var, gdzie wraz ze mną wysiadł tylko jeszcze jeden pasażer. Stąd miałem do punktu rozpoczęcia wędrówki w stronę przecięcia ok. 8 km szosą.

W ostateczności skłonny byłem pokonać je pieszo, ale postanowiłem spróbować autostopu. Był weekend i sporo samochodów jechało w stronę narciarskich kurortów Valberg i Isola. Niewiele jednak było skłonnych zatrzymać się. Udało mi się jednak podjechać „na raty” – najpierw do skrzyżowania z drogą D28, prowadzącą w głąb doliny rzeki Cians, a następnie do osady Moulin de Rigaud. Wysiadłem nieco za wcześnie, na samym początku wioski i musiałem przejść przez tunel i podejść szosą jeszcze kilkaset metrów. O 11:00 byłem gotowy do wyruszenia na trasę.

Aby dostać się do zbocza, na którym leżał punkt przecięcia, musiałem przekroczyć dolinę rzeki Cians, a z relacji poprzednich odwiedzających wiedziałem, że jedyną możliwość po temu daje most wiszący. Zaszedłem szosą nieco za daleko i musiałem przedzierać się przez las, aby dotrzeć do mostu. Wejście na niego było oznaczone jako „droga prywatna”. Zignorowałem to ostrzeżenie i po mocno kołyszącej się konstrukcji przeszedłem na drugą stronę (jego obecność tutaj to wielkie ułatwienie dla odwiedzających przecięcie, gdyż przedostanie się przez rwący nurt rzeki Cians było by poważnym problemem).

Za mostem ścieżka prowadziła wprost do znajdującego się po tej stronie rzeki gospodarstwa, zgodnie zatem ze wskazaniami GPS-u skręciłem w lewo i próbowałem wydostać się na zbocze, na którym leżał punkt przecięcia. Wzdłuż rzeki dotarłem do stromej, prawie pionowej kilkunastometrowej skarpy. Próba jej pokonania zabrała mi ponad pół godziny i ostatecznie musiałem uznać się za pokonanego. Uznałem zatem, że nie tędy droga, wycofałem się w pobliże mostu i spróbowałem dotrzeć do przecięcia od drugiej strony.

Pogoda była znakomita, słonecznie, bezśnieżnie i bardzo ciepło jak na moje wyobrażenie lutego – prawie 15 °C. Ścieżka, prowadząca wokół gospodarstwa, wyprowadziła mnie do ujścia skalistego wąwozu. Pomyślałem, że może warto spróbować zaatakować CP z innej niż dotychczas strony i ruszyłem w górę wąwozu. Odległość do CP malała bardzo powoli, za to zwiększała się trudność wędrówki – musiałem przeciskać się między mokrymi, śliskimi głazami i omijać powalone pnie. Dotarłem wreszcie do punktu oddalonego o ok. 300 m od przecięcia. Tu GPS wskazał, że muszę zmienić kierunek i rozpocząć podejście na północ, w górę ściany wąwozu.

Początek nie był bardzo trudny, po prostu bardzo stromy, porośnięty krzakami i niskimi drzewami stok i osuwające się podłoże, później jednak zrobiło się jeszcze bardziej stromo. Utrzymanie równowagi w wielu miejscach było niemal niemożliwe. Łapiąc się gałęzi drzew i krzewów z ogromnym mozołem posuwałem się krok po kroku w górę. Z niepokojem obserwowałem wolno malejącą odległość do punktu „zero” wskazywaną przez GPS – dwieście metrów, 150 m, 120 m. Sto dziesięć metrów przed punktem przecięcia natknąłem się na bardzo gęste zarośla. Były tak splątane i gęste, że przedarcie się przez nie wydawało się niemożliwe. Zostawiłem cały bagaż, jaki miałem ze sobą i pozbawiony obciążenia starałem się przedrzeć się przez gęstwinę. I wreszcie wskazania GPS-u spadły poniżej 100 m – 95, 90, 85 – OK, powinno wystarczyć, uwzględniając 10 m dokładność. Oplątany gałęziami krzaków wykonałem zdjęcia odbiornika GPS i otaczającej mnie gęstwiny i z westchnieniem ulgi rozpocząłem zejście.

Wkrótce okazało się ono znacznie trudniejsze niż podejście. Na szczęście zbocze było dość gęsto porośnięte i trawersując je z lewa na prawo oraz łapiąc się gałęzi udało mi się bezpiecznie, choć bardzo wolno zejść do wąwozu. Tu dopiero spłynęło ze mnie całe napięcia, które towarzyszyło mi podczas wspinaczki.

Ale to nie był jeszcze koniec ekspedycji. Zejście korytem potoku wcale nie było łatwiejsze. Śliskie, ruchome głazy, szuter i płynąca pod nogami woda sprawiały, że zejście było równie uciążliwe, co podejście. Ułatwiłem sobie drogę skrótem przez gospodarstwo, gdzie zaintrygowanym pracownikom rzucałem jedno słowo „Rigaud”, na co oni wskazywali na miasteczko, leżące po przeciwległej stronie doliny rzeki Cians.

Przez most wiszący wróciłem na szosę D28 biegnącą wzdłuż doliny Cians. Do odjazdu pociągu z Touët-sur-Var miałem jeszcze dwie i pół godziny ruszyłem zatem spokojnie szosą, próbując jednak po drodze „łapać stopa”. Udało mi się to dopiero po trzech kilometrach, gdy zatrzymało się francuskie małżeństwo wracające z nart. Mój francuski nie nadawał się do wyjaśnienia celu mojej wędrówki, ale udało nam się porozumieć po włosku i podczas krótkiej podróży starałem się przekazać kilka informacji o projekcie DCP. Przed 15 dotarłem do Touët, gdzie spokojnie doczekałem godziny 16:50 i lekko opóźnionym pociągiem wróciłem o 18 do Nicei.

A wieczorem mogłem świętować jeszcze jeden sukces – po 38 latach polski sportowiec znów zdobył złoty medal zimowych igrzysk olimpijskich! Chciałbym więc zadedykować dzisiejsze niełatwe przecięcie naszej złotej medalistce z Vancouver w biegu narciarskim na 30 km techniką klasyczną – Justynie Kowalczyk.

 All pictures
#1: General view of the confluence (towards N)
#2: View towards E from the confluence
#3: View towards S from the confluence
#4: View towards W from the confluence
#5: GPS readings
#6: This way down (or up)...
#7: The gorge (view towards E)
#8: On the way in the gorge
#9: View towards W along the gorge
#10: Suspension bridge over the Cians
ALL: All pictures on one page