the Degree Confluence Project

Brazil : Goiás

14.4 km (8.9 miles) E of Índio, Goiás, Brazil
Approx. altitude: 768 m (2519 ft)
([?] maps: Google MapQuest OpenStreetMap ConfluenceNavigator)
Antipode: 16°N 131°E

Accuracy: 10 m (32 ft)
Quality: good

Click on any of the images for the full-sized picture.

#2: Starting: Entering in the forest up hill #3: Across a jungle #4: Cabral fixing the mark. #5: GPS showing position #6: Everybody around the mark. #7: East landscape.

  { Main | Search | Countries | Information | Member Page | Random }

  16°S 49°W (visit #2)  

#1: On the top of the hill.  Confluence is beside that small lake.

(visited by Marcos de Oliveira Cabral, Melissa Loei, Fábio França Silva Araujo, Evangelos Chistakou, Kelly Resende and Deise Silva)

English: (translation: Estevão Campos de Paiva)

01-Jun-2001 -- Confluence S16° W49° (Pirenópolis – GO) June, 6th , 2001.

Narration: Marcos Cabral -- Photos: Marcos Cabral and Evangelos

This is an already known confluence, near to Pirenópolis. On April 4th of 2001, we tried to arrive there, but we were won. Since then, this confluence has been bothering the Walking Group. Due to the obstacles (dense wood, lots of insects, snakes and accidental relief), we have affectionately given this confluence the name of Confounded Confluence.

After several postponements, we finally decided to go on June 1st of 2001. After the traditional lateness in the group, we arrived at Pirenópolis at almost 11:10AM. We had gotten on the road that passes behind the Gas Station (Posto Dinossauro), then we went until a farm called "Fazenda Paraíso do Criador Gir Mocho". We went through this road until Mr. Cláudio’s farm. We had told the people who were at the farm what we would do over there. It is something difficult to explain that we are looking for a point that we do not know exactly where it is and how to get there.

By trying to explain it, it is almost impossible not to look like a fool. Although, the people were very nice. They only said: "Some people get weird jobs, ah?"

We had left the cars parked over there, and then started walking. At the farm, the vertical height is 32in above sea level. We started to walk at 11:47AM. As always, the direction, given by the GPS, is above the mountains! We went up 7086in, until we found a small river where we could drink and refresh ourselves.

Almost two hours going up, it was 1:40PM. The GPS kept indicating to go up. In a certain point, there was a swamp where we submerged. Sometimes up to our knees.

Looking back, there was a beautiful view. We could see the valley and the farm where our cars were parked at.

We kept on going. As the GPS indicated, the confluence was 0.62mi away from us, although the hillside was almost like a scarp. We tried to go down, but not succesfully. It was 3:40PM, and if we wanted to come back before night, we would have to give up again and go back. After a democratic vote, the majority decided to continue. Obstinate group! That is why I like them!

We would have to find a better point to go down. We decided to walk to the right. In that direction, the hillside and the top of the mountain were covered by a high wood.

At this point, the already known "ecological knife" took action. We had cut the wood, going down, until we arrived at the bottom. We even discovered a little fall down there.

The GPS indicated the direction of a small lake. Luckily, the confluence was exactly at the border of the lake. We trusted in our mark and took a photograph of the group that participated in this conquest. It was almost night.

We realized that going back through the same way would be harsh, because it is difficult to find a track at night. The valley in which the confluence was located was occupied by small rural properties and several roads. We decided to try a road through which we could go to the other side of the mountain, contouring it.

There was a problem: The confluence is always at a crossing point of four maps. Unfortunately, we only had two of them. The valley was in the area of the maps that we did not have. We went to a small farm, but there was nobody.

Looking at some roads that were near the place that we had parked our cars, we concluded that there must have been a road that could contour the mountain on the left side of it. We started to walk with firm steps. We stopped at another farm in order to ask for some information. The owner said that the road would contour the mountain. We had walked until 9:18PM, when a truck driver gave us S.O. a lift until a track that was over the mountain.

The truck was like a walking bomb. It ran on gas and the driver was smoking! As God helps the walkers, the driver had indicated to us the track we should go up until we reached Mr. Pico’s house, where we could get new information about the way back.

The track was full of insects.

When we arrived at Mr. Pico’s house, it was 9:30PM. We called him insistently. He indicated us the way back, and there we went, followed by his dog. We could have easily gone to the top of the mountain and found a road, but it would go in a different direction from one of the cars. We had to cut the wood again.

It was almost 1:00AM when we arrived at a dense wood. It was already known by the amount of poisonous snakes and full of thorns. We were really tired and mad, too. The land was very steep and, according to the GPS, we were 0.62mi far from there. We were almost there, although we were advancing 39.37in per minute.

There was another vote to decide if we would sleep there in the woods or if we would keep on going. The majority decided to go, again. As a last try, the "ecological knife" took action again. Only Fábio wanted to go through an inclined land full of insects and snakes. I am out of it.

A bit over 2 o’clock in the morning, we arrived at the board of a muddy river. I do not know why, but nobody wanted to cross over it. One hour before we were in a swampy camp full of snakes, and nobody gave it attention. Suddenly, Fábio disappeared. He has fell down in a puddle of water, but we quickly pulled him out of it.

In front of us, there were some black pigs. They seemed like jaguars waiting for us. Since we were already wet, why couldn't we cross over that muddy river? We crossed over it and arrived at the main farm at 2:15AM. We changed clothes, then we went away as silently as possible. Or else we would disturb the people from the farm. I use this moment to apologize to them, because they must have been worried about us.

We were exhausted, hungry and thirsty. So, we stopped at Pirenópolis in order to eat and drink, and then we came back home. Fábio, Evangelos and Kelly could even go to Rinaldo and Stephânia’s farm, which is located in Olhos d’água. We (Deise, Melissa and I) had to come back as somnambulists by the road, until we arrived at Brasília.

But the conquest of one more confluence compensates all this effort! Our thanks to all the people who have gone and to the people of Mr. Cláudio’s farm. Thanks God we will not need to come back to explain that we are those crazy people who has gotten lost for two times and who want to arrive at an unknown place to take one photograph and come back! Hospice for sure!


Confluência S16° W49° (Pirenópolis – GO) 06 de junho de 2001.

Texto: Cabral -- Photos: Cabral e Evangelos

Esta confluência 16ºS 49ºW próxima a Pirenópolis, já é uma conhecida. No dia 13/04/2001, já havíamos tentado alcança-la, mas fomos vencidos. Desde então, esta confluência incomodava o orgulho do Grupo de Caminhadas. Devido às dificuldades (relevo acidentado, mata fechada, carrapatos, e cobras), nós já tínhamos carinhosamente apelidado à de Confluência Maldita.

Depois de uma série de adiamentos, finalmente ficou certo irmos no dia 01/06/2001. Com os atrasos já tradicionais no grupo, conseguimos chegar a entrada de Pirenópolis lá pelas 11:10hs. Tomamos a estrada de terra que passa por trás do Posto Dinossauro, e seguimos até a entrada para a Fazenda Paraíso do Criador Gir Mocho. Seguimos por esta estrada até a Faz. do Sr. Cláudio. Explicamos ao pessoal da fazenda o que é que iríamos fazer lá. Coisa difícil, explicar que vamos procurar um ponto no meio do nada, que não tem nada lá, e que não sabemos ao certo onde está e como chegar lá. Ao tentar explicar isso, é quase impossível, não parecer meio idiota. Mas o pessoal da fazenda era super simpático. Apenas comentaram: " Tem gente que tem umas profissão estranha, né? "

Deixamos os carros estacionados lá, e partimos para a caminhada. Na fazenda a altitude é de 812mts, e começamos a caminhar às 11:47hs. A direção apontada pelo GPS, (como sempre), é morro acima! Subimos 180mts, até encontrarmos um pequeno riacho onde aproveitamos para beber e nos refrescar.

O relógio apontava 13:40h, quase duas horas de subida. Mas o GPS continuava apontando morro acima. Pegamos em certo ponto, um pântano de mato fechado, onde afundávamos às vezes até o joelho. Olhando para trás, tínhamos a vista do vale no qual está a fazenda onde estacionamos nossos carros.

Continuamos firmes. Às 15:09hs finalmente chegamos ao topo da serra. Altitude, 1119mts. O GPS apontava a confluência a cerca de 1Km à frente, mas a encosta da serra era quase uma escarpa. Fizemos uma tentativa de descer, mas era inviável. Já eram 15:40hs, e se quiséssemos voltar ainda com luz do dia, teríamos que desistir novamente neste ponto e voltar. Depois de uma votação democrática, a maioria decidiu continuar. Eta turma porreta!!! Teríamos que andar para o lado esquerdo ou direito da serra até achar um ponto melhor para descer. Optamos caminhar para a direita. O topo e a encosta da serra nesta direção era recoberta por uma mata alta.

A partir daí, o já conhecido “facão ecológico” entrou em ação. Cortamos a mata, descendo obliquamente pela encosta até chegarmos ao pé da serra. Descobrimos inclusive uma cachoeirinha dentro da mata. O GPS, apontava convicto na direção de um açude. Só faltava esta, a confluência cair justamente no meio de um pequeno lago! Para sorte nossa, ela caiu justamente na borda do pequeno lago. Fincamos nosso marco, tiramos a foto do grupo que participou da conquista, e o anoitecer já se aproximava.

Avaliamos que voltar pelo mesmo caminho, iria ser duro, pois achar a trilha à noite na mata fechada, não seria fácil. O vale no qual a estava a confluência estava, era ocupado por várias propriedades rurais pequenas e inúmeras estradas. Resolvemos descobrir uma estrada que nos levasse ao outro lado da serra, contornando-a. O problema, é que uma confluência cai sempre na intersecção de quatro mapas, dos quais só tínhamos dois deles. O vale da confluência caia na área dos mapas que não dispúnhamos. Fomos até uma fazendinha próxima, mas não tinha ninguém.

Olhando algumas estradas que passavam próximas ao local onde estavam nossos carros, chegamos a conclusão de que deveria haver uma estrada que contornasse a serra pela esquerda. Pegamos a estrada pela esquerda e andamos sem parar. Passo firme e decidido. Paramos em uma chácara para pedir informação, e o morador nos disse que a estrada iria contornar a serra. Acreditamos nele, e caminhamos até as 21:18hs quando depois de relutar um pouco, um caminhoneiro acabou por nos dar carona, no caminho de volta, para nos deixar em uma trilha que passaria por cima da cerra. O caminhão era uma bomba ambulante. Movido a gás de cozinha, vazando gás pra caramba, e o motorista estava fumando! Mas Deus ajuda os caminhantes, e um pouco depois, ele parou e nos indicou a trilha. Deveríamos subir uma trilha até dar na casa do Sr Pico, e pedir a ele nova indicação. Caminhamos morro acima. Aquela trilha, era simplesmente o paraíso dos carrapatos.

O relógio apontava 21:30hs quando chegamos à casa do Sr Pico. Chamamos muito até que ele nos atendesse. Nos indicou o caminho, e lá fomos nós, seguidos pelo cachorro dele. Subimos sem problemas até o pico da serra, achamos uma estrada que descia para o outro lado, mas ela ia em uma direção bem diferente da dos carros. O jeito foi abrir novamente uma picada pelo mato.

Direção indicada pelo GPS, e lá fomos nós. Era quase 1hs da madrugada, quando chegamos a um trecho de mata fechada, já conhecida pela quantidade de cobras venenosas, e de mato muito fechado e cheio de espinhos. O cansaço batia forte, e a irritação também. O terreno era super inclinado, e o GPS apontava pouco mais de 1km de distância. Estávamos quase lá, mas avançávamos muito devagar, cerca de 1metro por minuto...

Fizemos outra votação para decidir se dormiríamos ali no mato ou continuaríamos. Novamente a maioria decidiu por prosseguir. Reuni minhas últimas forças, e coloquei o facão ecológico em ação. Só o Fábio queria bivarcar em terreno inclinado, cheio de carrapatos e cobras. Tô fora!!! Já passava um pouco das 2hs da madrugada, quando chegamos à beira de um riacho lamacento. Não sei porquê, mas ninguém quis atravessar. O Fábio resolveu voltar um pouco e achar outro caminho. Andávamos em um campo encharcado que poderia ter mil cobras, mas ninguém mais ligava para nada. De repente o Fábio sumiu! Caiu dentro de um poço d’água do qual puxamos ele rapidamente.

À frente, alguns porcos pretos, pareciam onças à nossa espreita. Já que estávamos molhados mesmo, porque não atravessar aquele córrego lamacento?! Atravessamos, o córrego, transpusemos um outro pântano, e chegamos à sede da fazenda às 2:15hs. Trocamos de roupa, e fomos embora o mais silenciosamente possível para não incomodar o pessoal da fazenda. Aproveito para pedir desculpas a eles, pois devem ter ficado preocupados por não retornarmos ao anoitecer.

Estávamos esgotados, com fome, com sede. Paramos em Pirenópolis para comer e beber, e depois voltamos para casa. O Fábio, Evangelos e a Kelly ainda tiveram ânimo para ir à Olhos d’Água, na chácara do Rinaldo e da Stephânia. Nós (Eu Deise, e Melissa) voltamos como sonâmbulos pela estrada, até chegarmos à Brasília.

Mas a conquista de mais uma confluência recompensa todo o esforço! A todos que foram, e ao pessoal da Faz. do Sr Cláudio um abraço e nossos agradecimentos. Ainda bem que não vamos precisar voltar lá para explicar que somos aqueles doidos que se perderam duas vezes e que querem chegar em um lugar desconhecido pra tirar uma foto e voltar....Aí é hospício na certa!

 All pictures
#1: On the top of the hill. Confluence is beside that small lake.
#2: Starting: Entering in the forest up hill
#3: Across a jungle
#4: Cabral fixing the mark.
#5: GPS showing position
#6: Everybody around the mark.
#7: East landscape.
ALL: All pictures on one page