29-Apr-2012 -- This is the first out of three confluences that we visited during an extended weekend trip to the Netherlands.
Elionora and I flew to Amsterdam in order to visit the Floriade 2012 (World Horticultural Expo) in Venlo. After a rather wet stay in Amsterdam, we drove to Venlo in the Southern part of the Netherlands. Visiting this confluence point meant only a 20-minute excursion on our trip southwards. GPS Navigation guided us directly to the traffic roundabout. We parked conveniently 50 m north of the roundabout and located the confluence point 31 m from the center of the circle in north-eastern direction.
Not much has changed since the traffic circle has been built in 2003. See the confluence before and after the traffic change.
This unspectacular visit meant my 80th country with a confluence visit. It would be quite an effort to have a successful visit in all of the 218 countries that contain at least one confluence point (according to confluence.org).
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 2 m
- Distance to a public road: 2 m
- Distance to a track: 2 m
- Distance of parking: 30 m
- Distance to houses: 175 m
- Time starting the hike: 1:28 PM
- Time at the CP: 1:29 PM
- Measured height: 4 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: agricultural fields
- Weather: sunny (foggy), 18° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: 7 km South-West of the city Nieuwegein. In a densely populated, but also agricultural area.
- Given Name: The Roundabout Confluence
Story continues at 52°N 6°E.