25-Jun-2020 -- This report is the sixth out of eight reports reaching confluence points during a 5-day bicycle trip (901 km) from Tallinn to Riga. The story starts at 59°N 26°E and continues from 58°N 25°E.
In the morning I crossed into Latvia and followed various gravel roads for the first half of the day until I reached the confluence area around 2 PM. The confluence is located just 1 km south of the border of Estonia and just 600 m west of the main road.
The forest around the confluence is divided by a grid of rectangular logging tracks. Those tracks are mostly overgrown, so half way from the road I decided that walking was the better choice compared to cycling. After I had left my bicycle behind, the horse flies had detected my presence in the forest. And again, as on the previous day, I had to hurry before my blood was completely sucked by the nasty flies. I hurried a bit too much, such that 2 pictures didn’t come out sharp. The confluence is located in deep spruce and pine forest with blueberry undergrowth.
After the confluence visit I continued riding in south-eastern direction towards 57°N 26°E, coming across Matīši and ended the day camping at a remote lake called “spanderu ezers” about 10 km south of Rauna.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 600 m
- Distance to a track: 20 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 350 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the road: 10 min
- Time at the confluence: 1:40 PM
- Measured height: 64 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy: 4 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: pine, spruce, blueberries
- Weather: sunny, 31° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Again Horse Flies Confluence
The story continues at 57°N 26°E.