05-May-2005 -- The story starts from 50N 11E.
This is the third visit out of a 10-confluence-hunt along the 50 degree latitude line. The special purpose of that trip was to visit as many confluence points as possible within one day.
Coming from 50N 10E we took the 'Autobahn' A3 towards Aschaffenburg and Frankfurt. Since it was a holiday the motorway was not crowded at all and our travel smooth. After we had reached the village Zellhausen, we were not sure on which side of the A3 the confluence would be. Fortunately we choose the correct side (the northern side) and parked the car in 500 m from the confluence. The hike through the forest in young green colours was beautiful. Actually, this was the longest hike of all 10 confluences. At the spot, the GPS positioning was effected by multipath effects due to the dense vegetation.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 7:55 a.m.
- Driving time to get to the CP: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Driving distance: 145 km
- Distance of car parking: 498 m
- Distance to a track: 41 m
- Distance to a road: 500 m
- Distance to houses: 800 m
- Topography: flat
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 4.40 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 6 m
- GPS height: 116 m
- Vegetation: Beech- and pine trees, dense vegetation.
- Weather: overcast, 12° C (felt temperature)
- Specialities: A wooden sign at the confluence, remaining from a previous visit. Due to the dense vegetation the nearby ‘Autobahn’ does not disturb the beautiful scene. This was our prettiest confluence that day.
- Description of the CP: In the flat lands of the industrial area of the Rhein-Main-Gebiet. But the location itself is in a deep forest less then 1 km south of the village Zellhausen.
- Given Name: The beautiful Autobahn Confluence
Story continues at 50N 8E.