01-May-2008 -- This is the second out of 7 confluence points that we visited during a week-end trip to Italy, Slovenia and Croatia. Story starts from 45°N 9°E.
It took us just 1 hour and 5 minutes to drive from 45°N 9°E in 78.85 km beeline-distance to this confluence and another 10 minutes to reach the exact spot on foot. Starting from Voghera the motorway A21 took us eastwards to Piacenza and from there we could change to the A1. We left the highway near the town Cortemaggiore, which is located 4 km from the confluence and parked at a locked gate in 400 m distance. From there a track called Via Ferrrarine led to an abandoned farm. Behind the farm, we had to walk another 250 m between to fields to reach the confluence.
The exact location is 16m into a root-vegetables field. In 2001 it had been fallow land and in 2003 it had been a corn field. This time young sprouts of some hard to identifiable root-vegetable were growing at the confluence. At this early morning on the 1st of May, we wouldn’t see anyone in the fields or nearby.
When we came back to our car we had a great picnic before we took off for the next confluence point 78.85 km further east.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 8:44 am
- Driving time: 1 hour 5 min
- Driving distance: 103 km
- Hiking time: 10 min
- Hiking distance: 800 m (beeline)
- Distance to a road: 820 m
- Distance to a track: 300 m
- Distance to houses: 300 m
- Topography: flat, in the flood planes of Po River
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- GPS height: 29 m
- Vegetation: young spouts of root-vegetables, probably sugar-beet or kohlrabi.
- Weather: clear, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the northern part of Italy, Province of Picacenza in the region Emilia-Romagna. In an agricultural area. Scattered farmhouses (mostly abandoned) in the area.
- Given Name: The Abandoned Farm Confluence
Story continues at 45°N 11°E.