23-Feb-2008 -- The story starts from 47°N 10°E.
It took me 2.5 hours from confluence 47°N 10°E to reach the parking lot at the housing called Hochwald, in 600 m distance from this confluence. I drove over the Arlberg Pass into the Rosanna Valley, followed by the Inn Valley. From the big Inn Valley, a turn southwards leads to the Ötztal, where this confluence is located.
From Hochwald a zigzag track leads steep upwards directly to the CP. There is a height difference of 250m to cover. Since the snow was deep it was quite an effort to reach the exact location of the confluence. On my way I met a couple that were hiking up the mountain. I explained the idea of confluencing while we walked together. When we reached the confluence, we celebrated a bit. I was invited for a “Schnaps” but I had to refuse, because I had to continue my trip by car.
The location itself is a great spot with a grandiose view on the other side of the valley. Just 5m from the main track, I located it in some bush-wood. A short walk further upwards (about 100m) lead to a huge gallery of icicles.
The way back was much quicker – almost running down though the meanwhile soft snow. I continued my trip to Munich, where I stayed at my uncle’s house.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 13:00 am
- time: 50 min (from the parking lot)
- hiking distance: 700 m (beeline)
- Distance to a road: 700 m
- Distance to a track: 5 m
- Distance to houses: 30 m (assuming that the nearby huts count as houses)
- Topography: steep grades at the western side of the Ötztal.
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 13 m
- GPS height: 1743 m
- Vegetation: spruce forest. Bushes that are hard to identify in winter.
- Weather: sunny, 16° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the western part of Austria. Less than half way up the valley towards the Grieskogel Mountain.
- Given Name: The Eu de Cologne Confluence
Story continues at 48°N 11°E.